BABY CLOSET – The Baby Closet is a community service program operated by volunteers to help children and families in need. Parents and legal guardians of children age newborn to five years can receive help with a designated number of items each month, which includes clothes, diapers, disposable wipes, formula, and miscellaneous large items such as high chairs, strollers, and other items. Numerous community organizations and charities make referrals on a regular basis. The Closet served 206 families with 356 children in 2014.
Monetary donations, clothing, unexpired baby food, formula, and miscellaneous items are welcome from our church families and the community. Several families helped by the Baby Closet have given back to the program to keep the shelves stocked.
CORONAVIRUS (COVID 19) – The Baby Closet is CLOSED to the public until further notice to help stop the spread of the Coronavirus (COVID 19). Families can leave a message on the Baby Closet voice mail for diapers, formula, ointment, and wipes by calling (785) 233-4241. A volunteer will return the message within 48 hours.
BABY CLOSET OPEN on WEDNESDAYS ONLY from 3:30-5:30 pm at the North Door.
FOOD PANTRY – Weekly on Wednesdays: Free Fruit and Vegetable Food Pantry on Wednesdays from 3:30 to 5:30 pm, while supplies last.
CORONAVIRUS (COVID 19) MOBILE SITE: The Fruit & Vegetable Food Pantry will operate as a MOBILE FOOD PANTRY beginning March 2020 until further notice. Enter western PARKING LOT from 4th and CLAY Streets. Do not park or exit your vehicle. The Shawnee County Health Department instructs all “residents to maintain social distancing, practice good hygiene, remain home when sick, follow isolation and quarantine orders issued by state or local health officers, use cloth face masks when leaving their homes, and continue to clean and disinfect surfaces” (Shawnee County Health Department – https://www.snco.us/hd). The Governor of Kansas’ “Ad Astra: A Plan to Reopen Kansas” can be found at https://covid.ks.gov/ad-astra-a-plan-to-reopen-kansas.
Program eligibility REQUIREMENTS:
- Distribution – Food distributed freely on a first-come, first-served basis while supplies last.
- Equal Opportunity – The Food Pantry does not discriminate based on age, color, creed, ethnicity, gender expression, marital status, military obligations, national origin (ancestry), physical appearance (height, weight, etc.), physical or mental ability (handicap), race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or veteran status. If you believe you have experienced discrimination, speak with the supervisor or Pastor by calling (785) 233-4241.
- Hebdomadally – Clients are limited to receive one distribution per week.
- Households – One household per address. All individuals, regardless of age or familial relationship, residing at a single address are considered one household, unless the property is subdivided (e.g., multi-family structure) by the owner as reported to the City of Topeka’s Department of Neighborhood Relations.
- Identification EVERY VISIT – Clients MUST provide a PHOTO I.D. with current address (including apartment number, if applicable) for identification. If the address is incorrect, the client must provide a piece of US Postal Mail with name and current address. Clients without identification must see the Program Supervisor.
- Presence – Clients must be present to receive food. No distribution of food for family members, friends, homebound, neighbors, etc.; except at the Program Supervisor’s discretion.
- Residency – Clients must reside in the Topeka area (zip code 66601-66619) with the intent to make the City their permanent home.
- Sign-In – Clients must print their name and report the number of residents in the household, regardless of age or familial relationships on the form provided by Harvesters Community Food Network.
- Updated – The eligibility requirements, policies, and programs may be changed, modified, updated, and/or canceled at any time without prior notification or publication.
- Weather – The Food Pantry may be canceled, postponed, relocated, and/or rescheduled in response to inclement weather and/or emergencies without prior notification or publication.
Call the Church Office at (785) 233-4241 for holiday and weather-related closures. *All food is available at no cost.